I am pretty happy that I got my efficiency back up a little bit. I had just bought a 14 gallon pot so I could do bigger beers (gravity and volume) but my efficiency took a nose dive. I'm still trying to correct the issue. When I made this porter, instead of just changing one variable at a time, I changed 2 things so I am not sure what is the reason for my increased efficiencey. Maybe it is both things. One thing I did was I did a batch sparge instead of fly sparged. I would think that that would make a big difference for a beer with an O.G. of 1.065. The other thing I did was I added a half pound of Acidulated Malt which dropped my pH down a little which makes for a better environment for converting starches to sugar. I think that had a lot to do with the increase. I'll have to tweak one of these variables at a time to really get it pin-pointed. Here is the recipe I used for this porter.
17 lb. Pale Malt (2-row)
6 lb. Smoked Malt (Weyermann German Malt)
2 lb Crystal 40L
2 lb Crystal 60L
1.5 lb Chocolate Malt
1 lb Munich
1 lb Black Patent
1 lb Vienna Malt
.5 lb Acidulated Malt (taste a little bit of this, Wow!)
1.58 oz. East Kent Golding (60 min/Pellet Hops)
1 oz. East Kent Golding (15 min/Whole Hops)
1.1 oz. Willamette (15 min/Whole Hops)
Yeast: California Ale Yeast from White Labs
Single infusion mash for 90 min at 151 F
Mash out at 170 F for 10-15 min.