Sunday, April 22, 2007

Chupacabra Russian Imperial Stout...It'll Tear Your Ass Up


I decided that I was going to try and brew myself up a a massive Russian Imperial Stout because I have been craving a beer like the "Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout" from Three Floyds Brewing Co. It is simply one of the best beers ever known to man. I sat down in front of my computer and opened Promash and started hammering out a recipe that would give me an incredibly big beer that would satisfy my craving for RIS and this is the recipe I came up with.




Grain

15 lb Maris Otter Pale 2-row
10 lb American Pale 2-row
2 lb Germain Munich
1 lb Caramunich (belg)
1 lb Chocolate (amer)
1 lb Crystal 40L
1 lb Crystal 60L
1 lb Flaked Wheat
1 lb Roasted Barley
.5 lb Black Patent
.5 lb Wheat Malt
.5 lb Special B

Hops

.5 oz Chinook Pellet Hops (19.4 ibu's @ 60 min)
1.5 oz Centennial Pellet Hops (12.9 ibu's @ 15 min)
.5 oz Chinook Pellet Hops (3.3 ibu's @ 5 min)

Other ingredients

3 lbs U.P. Honey from Brampton, MI
1/2 stick of brewers licorice

Yeast

1 Big Old Starter of WLP001, Trusty California Ale Yeast.

Notes:
This beer ends up being about 37.5 lbs of grain. I have a 14 gallon mash tun and it was full to the brim. If you get good efficiency with your system you can get away with using quite a bit less of base malt. This is a new system that I am trying to work the kinks out of so my efficiency is around 55-60% at least for this beer it was. Take that into mind if you use this recipe. my ABV came out to be around 10.5 % so if you use this exact recipe and get a better efficiency you will have a killer beer. This one is tasting phenominal right now. I recommend pitching a little fresh yeast before bottling because your yeast will be pooped out after working on all the sugars in this beer. My carbonation is a little bit less than what I wanted because I didn't pitch any fresh stuff before bottling. That is the only thing I would do differently if I were to brew this again.

4 comments:

Gerry said...

Hi there. I just came across this post while searching for a dark lord clone recipe. Your recipe looks intense! I see you posted this in April, do you still have any of this around? I can only imagine it gets better with age and I'd be really curious to see what you think of it now and if you would change anything about the recipe. I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to do for a recipe for this clone. It's great to see other folks interpretations of it though. Thanks for sharing..
Gerry

Homebrewer Brian said...

Hi Gerry, thanks for the comment. I had carbonation issues with this beer so I am having a hard time trying to decide how I want to alter this recipe. By the way, this isn't a clone recipe persay, it is just inspired by the Dark Lord. I think I would drop the lb of crystal 60 if I were to do this again to cut down on some of the residual sweetness left in this beer and I would use a mega yeast starter instead of the pint starter that I had made. It did turn out really good and I am really bummed out that I had CO2 problems with this beer.

Homebrewer Brian said...

Hi Gerry, thanks for the comment. I had carbonation issues with this beer so I am having a hard time trying to decide how I want to alter this recipe. By the way, this isn't a clone recipe persay, it is just inspired by the Dark Lord. I think I would drop the lb of crystal 60 if I were to do this again to cut down on some of the residual sweetness left in this beer and I would use a mega yeast starter instead of the pint starter that I had made. It did turn out really good and I am really bummed out that I had CO2 problems with this beer.

Anonymous said...

I too have come across this recipe while looking to clone the dark lord. Does this beer give a similar finishing thickness and milkshake-y mouthfeel that the original dark lord has? Have you brewed this since this post and would you adjust anything? Thanks for sharing