Friday, May 30, 2008

Who Says You Can't Eat Pub Food at Home?


While I was down at Three Floyds Brewery my eyes were opened to a new dish that I had never seen before--Scotch Eggs. The gentleman I was sitting next to and talking beer with had ordered some before I seated myself next to him and while we were chatting, the bartender brought him out this plate with these interesting looking egg on them. They looked like hard boiled dinosaur eggs or something because they have a layer of sausage wrapped around them and then they are coated in bread crumbs and then fried. They looked so good that I had to try to make them on my own.

Here is what I did:

I had a lb of ground turkey on hand so I made turkey sausage instead of just using regular pork sausage.

Turkey Sausage Ingredients

* 1 lb ground turkey
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 teaspoons sage
* 1 teaspoon fennel seed
* 1 teaspoon thyme
* 1 teaspoon black pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
* 1/8 teaspoon allspice

Directions

1.Combine all ingredients (use less pepper if you don't want a spicy taste) and blend well.
2. If time permits, refrigerate overnight to let the meat absorb the flavor of the spices.

To Make your Scotch Eggs, Hardboil 6-7 eggs and cool them in cold water. Remove the shells and form the sausage into a patty and work it around the egg. Place the sausage wrapped egg into an egg bath and then roll in bread crumbs. I fried mine in crisco that I heated up slowly on medium heat. I heated my oil while I was prepping the eggs. I wouldn't fry more than 4 at a time because they will cool the oil down too much when you try to do them all at the same time. Turn as needed and be sure to stand them up on their ends to make sure you don't have any raw sausage their. If you use enough oil you probably don't need to worry about standing them up on their ends but it's something to be aware of. I am eating mine with a little bit of Sleeping Bear Trading Co's Michigan Mustard and it goes great with them. I'm also drinking a Belgian-Style IPA.

0 comments: