Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Saison & Archaic Beer

Wow, I forgot what it's like to brew a beer and actually be able to bottle it within a few weeks. I've been doing so many beers with bugs that I haven't bottled or kegged anything in forever it seems. My Belgian Dark Stong Ale is all bottled up and the Saison and Archaic beer are tasting like they are going in the right direction. Both of them should be down to final gravity within a day or two here. I am going to let the Archaic beer sit on the yeast for a few days after it is fully attenuated to let that yeast absorb some of the off flavors that are created during the fermentation process. I'm not sure if I will do that with the Saison because that yeast is probably going to break down (Autolysis) because I have been fermenting it at 85F for the last week or so. Yeah that's right, I said 85F. On purpose none the less. I thought at those temps that the yeast would eat through this beer in a few days but it is still going at about 10 bubbles per minute over a week later. I should coin Bubbles per minute "BPM". I'm claiming that. I am getting ready to bottle a Berliner Weiss and an All Brett Beer within the next two weeks or so too so I will most definately be buying returnables from my local beer store.

0 comments: